This are the first parts I designed and printed – the eye mechanics. There is 6 micro servos in this assembly. 2 of them will move eyes up and down and left and right. Another two servos is used to blink, one for each eye. Remaining 2 will operate nose with upper lip and tongue. There will be one more to move the jaw but I didn’t design it yet. I wanted to print it and test if first and than I can add more elements and attach them with superglue in the first prototype, when everything works, i will prepare better parts for second version. The additional difficulty is that I want it to be printed on home made printers and avoid using support where possible.
I am also planning to combine the parts into bigger single pieces while reducing the amount of material used and weight. I already see areas where things need to be strengthened. People with reliable printer will be able to print it as single part which will take many hours to complete but will reduce assembly time. Those who prefer to print smaller pieces or customize their parts, will be able to use split version of the skull and attach them with screws. I prefer this option, because I hate when after few hours of printing something goes wrong with extruder and the part is useless. This happened with the frame element, but I noticed it early enough to save the print.
The blue servos you can see on the photos are Tower Pro SG90 9g micro servos. I bought them on ebay, they are very cheap but good enough for this purpose, there is no need for much force to rotate the eyes.